Friday, November 16, 2012

Christmas Ornament Swap

It's been ages since I took part in a swap... I'd forgotten how fun and nerve wracking 
they can be (all at once!). Don't get me wrong, it's been great but I always find it so hard 
deciding what to make and then there's the performance anxiety when you start seeing 
all the amazing things other people have done ;) 


My recipient said that she likes Scandinavian design, so I decided to 
try my hand at a Dala Horse... like this one (below)...


After a couple of REALLY bad attempts at freehand cutting, I sought out a 
pattern for the shape online and found this one (below) here...


At one stage I thought I'd finished but then I saw some amazing ones on the Creative 
Space meme and realised I was going to have to try harder if my recipient was to 
be happy, so I began doing different strand widths of embroidery to give the design 
some depth...


... and I did a bit of block printing for the saddle etc. 
Anyway, it's done and I so hope my recipient likes it.


Are you taking part in Christina's Xmas Ornament Swap too? I can't tell you 
who my recipient is but I'm happy to report it's all finished and ready for posting :)


17 comments:

  1. you have definitely hit the nail on the head with your Scandinavian vibe...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely wonderful!! Your partner must be thrilled. Thank you for sharing the pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh gosh! talk about performance anxiety- these are gorgeous. I sat down with my bits and bobs last night, then realised I'd brought the wrong needle up from the packing boxes in the garage. so i poured a glass of wine instead! love love love the mix of embroidery and print...and scandi yumness. :)sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow fabulous, I want one! absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kylie..it's gorgeous! Whoever gets it is so lucky! I know how you feel doing these swaps, I always feel so much pressure but want to do my very best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kylie... you make me laugh :) I've been a bit of a nervous wreck and suffering performance anxiety too as I had no idea what I was going to do for the swap for ages... I was getting a little worried I tell you! But thankfully my snowflake stamp and air dry clay appeared in my head... phew!!! LOVE your scando horse... he's so gorgeous and I am sure the lucky recipient will totally love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Kylie, they are simply simply just beautiful. Lucky receiver to get them Your embroidery work is just divine xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it. I think I'm going to have to try make one as well. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's lovely! I always get intimidated by other people's creativity. (And sometimes I am shocked when they are intimidated by mine. It's all perspective, isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks fantastic ! i love scandinavian too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. so sweet. i know what you mean about performance anxieties with these kinds of project! i love that you combined embroidery and print in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a really beautiful project and so much gorgeous detail.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely one of my very favourites from the swap. Such beautiful detailing.

    ReplyDelete